This vibrant green salad features a variety of vegetables. Summer is the perfect time to do this with a great variety of greens being in season. Other seasonal greens that can be substituted in the salad include: artichoke, Asian greens, avocado, broad beans, green beans, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, peas, spinach.
Adapted from Yotam Ottolenghi.
- 300g asparagus, trimmed and sliced diagonally into 3 spears
- 200g green beans, topped
- 300g broad beans or edamame beans
- 50 g baby spinach leaves
- 1 shallot, sliced thinly
- 1 red chilli, finely diced
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp nigella seeds
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and blanch the asparagus for 2-4 minutes, depending on thickness. With a slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl of iced-water. Add the green beans to the boiling water, blanch for 5 minutes and transfer to the asparagus bowl. Drain both well. Blanch the broad beans in the same water for two minutes, drain, refresh then remove and discard the skins by pressing each bean gently between finger and thumb.
- Put all the greens in a large bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Season with salt. Stir gently and serve